Sunday, February 12, 2012

Coulda been okay. Wasn't.

One for the Money  
AMC Loews Village 7, January 29, 2012
Movie #7 for 2012

Stephanie Plum (KATHERINE HEIGL), Jersey girl, is out of work.  The bills mount up so she takes what she can get: bringing in bail jumpers for her bondman cousin Vinny.  In between the easy gets (like a flasher who lives in her building), Stephanie is hunting a big fish: her ex-might-have-been boyfriend Morelli (JASON O'MARA, pictured with Heigl), a good cop hiding out from a bum rap.  On the side, she gets bounty-hunting tips from a serious bad ass named Ranger (DANIEL SUNJATA).  Oh hey, look at that, a love triangle.

I am being very kind to One For the Money for two very good reasons:

1. I have a deep fondness for Stephanie Plum - I read a bunch of the Janet Evanovich novels when they first came out, like, fifteen years ago (before they got tiresome and silly after about book five).  She’s a character with a lot to like about her, and I couldn’t separate the film character, who everyone told me was bland and spark-less, from the book character who I remember really enjoying (when I was sixteen and had no taste whatsoever).  I guess that means they got something about the film a bit right?

2. I was drunk when I saw it.

Objectively, I can see that it’s not a very good film - the male/female relationships are offensively throwback-y and the violence (especially after Haywire) is shockingly cavalier.  The cast - all tremendously good-looking - really can’t fake chemistry at all, the script is nonsensical and the direction is plodding.  But, I’m not ashamed to say it, I - and my beers - had quite a good time.