Monday, April 12, 2010

Mademoiselle Piney (movie #27)

Mademoiselle Chambon 
Cinema Nova, 11/04/2010
Status: Seems like no matter how many movies I see I’m still five behind.
It’s so very very rare for me to see a movie without preconceptions.  I have usually - like you, dear reader, I'm sure - seen a preview, read a review, read the blurb in the festival guide or seen an ad in the paper.  At the very least I’ll have an opinion of the film maker or the actors.  Except, of course, when I’ve never heard of them.  Such it was for French film Mademoiselle Chambon when a mate invited me to a preview screening (it’s not due out until June).  The immediate urge to Google it was a hard one to resist.  But resist it I did and, for the first time in for ages, I saw a film without knowing a single thing about it.

Mademoiselle Chambon is a very small, contained story.  A relief teacher in a small French town falls in love with a local builder.  And he, although he’s married and she teaches his son, falls in love with her.  That’s pretty much it.  Lucky then, that there are strong performances, nicely observed dialogue and beautifully shot scenes to carry the slight story and languorous pace.  

The pace didn't bother me as much as I though it would when I remembered Keat’s advice from another wromantic film, and I immersed myself in the feel of it.  There was, however, a little too much staring forlornly into the middle distance for my tastes (although I am a big softy, I’m also a deeply practical lass and am not often compelled by lovelorn heroines.  Except of course when they’re in period costume).  

The film and I trundled along like this quite happily (them all lovelorn and starey, me just going with it) until the ending, which they right royally stuffed.  Stuffed like a turducken. What a shame that all that pining didn't actually lead anywhere interesting.