Friday, September 10, 2010

So close to no idea what just happened (movie #80)


King of Thorn  
Cinema Nova, 07/09/2010
Status: Behind by 3 films
I have no idea what King of Thorn is about.  I was with it for maybe the first third (of the two hour running time) and it went a little like this:
  1. In 2015, a virus called Medusa is turning infected people into stone (okay, got that).
  2. While they search for a cure, 160 people are chosen to be cryogenically frozen for 100 years to wake up in a future where there is a cure (How come? Oh, I guess it doesn’t really matter, I’ll just go along with it)
  3. Everyone wakes up and the facility is over-run with thorns and monsters.  A rag-tag crew of seven misfits needs to escape the facility, but they’re being picked off one by one (okay, cool, got touches of Resident Evil and Cube goin on, I can dig it)
  4. The back story of the virus starts - it’s from outer space, don’tcha know - and the story of the cult that run the facility, called Venus’ Gate and the little girl who first came in contact with the virus, and the twin sister of one of our rag-tag bunch and being able to turn dreams into reality and a dream thorn-dragon about to swallow the world and a whole bunch of Sleeping Beauty metaphors. (Woah, wait.  What? I don’t understand anything you just said)

The film is based on a popular manga that had readers howling and rioting as the plot twists and revelations piled up and up and up.  Howling and rioting would have been fine, but I was just left scratching my head.