Sunday, October 24, 2010

Part 4 of 17 (movie #93)


Resident Evil: Afterlife  
Melbourne CBD Greater Union, 19/10/2010
Status: Behind by 4 films
Someone told me that Resident Evil: Afterlife was as stylish, fun and energetic as the 2002 original Resident Evil.  They lied.  Another someone clarified that they probably mean that Resident Evil: Afterlife was the most stylish, fun and energetic of the three sequels to the original film which is, as I discovered, most definitely not the same thing.

Ripping off a shit-ton of action movies from the great to the semi-decent, Resident Evil: Afterlife makes very, very little sense in a really, really boring way.  Even the action is not terribly well done and the story-telling is so bad it made me want to punch something really hard.  Worst of all, the ending sets up yet another film with yet another set of unsurmountable odds to overcome.  

I am reliably informed that my cranky-pants approach to 3D may have (inevitably) come back to bite me in the derrière. I staunchly saw this film in 2D and am told that it's waaaay better with an added dimension; that the long sequences of super slo-mo look great, rather than just tedious.  Sadly (for me? for the film's distributors?) I'll be buggered if I'm paying good cash money to see it a second time.  In fact, perhaps I’ll just skip the next two films and see what happens for Resident Evil 7: After-after-afterlife.