Sunday, October 17, 2010

A raging Rivers (movie #87)

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work 
Cinema Nova, 12/10/2010
Status: Behind by 8 films
Wow, Joan Rivers is angry.  At everyone

She’s not happy unless she’s working with a full appointment calendar.  That’s a bit of an issue though, because she’s not as hot as she used to be - she’s 75, not longer as shockingly funny and not discerning about the work she does (not only will she not say no to anything she’s offered, but she actively begs for ads that others have turned down and late-night shopping network gigs).

It all comes down to River’s twin needs for money (and lots of it) and to be loved (and lots of it).  I not sure which is sadder, really.

River’s comedy is okay, I guess, but I was most engaged by the honesty of the doco and of Rivers herself - she’s unabashed about her age, her choices, her (now horrendous) plastic surgery and her priorities (for fame, money and ongoing relevance).   I found myself equal parts respecting her and being repulsed by her (mostly for her staggering lack of perspective).  From the interviews in the doco, I suspect this is not an uncommon response.  I guess that’d make anyone a little angry.